Blogger and human rights activist Hossein Ronaghi-Maleki who has been sentenced to 15 years in prison by the lower court has gone on a hunger strike.
RAHANA: Hossein Ronaghi Maleki who blogged under the name of Babak Khorramdin has gone on a hunger strike in order to protest the verdict and the behavior of the judicial authorities. Zoleikha Mousavi, his mother, told the RAHANA reporter that he has gone on a hunger strike and has talked to the Tehran Prosecutor about his requests.
Mrs. Mousavi told RAHANA that “someone had told the family that Hossein is on hunger strike during the 2 days that he had not contacted home but Hossein confirmed the news in his telephone call today.”
Ronaghi was sentenced to 15 years in prison on October 3rd by the 26th branch of the Revolutionary Court. Sattari, the court clerk in charge of the 26th branch of the Revolutionary Court, announced his verdict. He was not allowed to see or read the verdict and was forced to sign it after being beaten.
Ronaghi was detained on December 13, 2009 at his father’s home in the city of Malekan located in Tabriz. He was then transferred to the IRGC controlled Ward 2A. He had been under intense pressure to make false televised confessions in the past 10 months.
According to his family, the authorities have told him that he should have been sentenced to death but they have reduced his sentence. They have further stated that they would have been able to reduce his prison sentence if he had cooperated with them.